ANR (Automatic neighbour relations) or Automation in Defining Neighbors is the feature of the new technology Self Organizing network(SON). SON is a collection of functions for automatic configuration, management and healing of cellular networks. It is considered to be a major necessity in future mobile networks to do possible savings in capital expenditure (CAPEX) and operational expenditure (OPEX).The first technology making use of SON is LTE ( long term evaluation) . There are mainly three reasons to introduce SON.
1. Parameters increases with each technology (GSM<UMTS<LTE).So it is not practical to set & maintain them manually.
2. Cells are not be able to meet the high traffic requirements
3. Network resources are not used efficiently by operators
SON improves the network by ANR technique. To reduce manual work ANR is used. ANR configures the neighboring list in the newly evolved node b & optimize the configuration during operation. Correct and up to date neighboring list will increase the number of successful handovers.
SON Solutions can be divided into three categories: Self -Configuration, Self- Optimization & Self-healing. the SON Architecture can be centralized, distributed or hybrid solutions.
Self-Configuration mechanism is for the network planning and mapping , which help to reduce the cost expenditure(CAPEX). Some self-configuration use these cases defined below.
1. Automatic Neighbour relation.
2. Automated Configuration of Physical Cell Id.
3. Self-establishment of a new Enb in the network.
Self Optimization is used to get the benefits of dynamic optimization to the operators .e.g-mobility load balancing to make network more robust against environmental changes.
It is used to reduce operational expenditure (OPEX). Some self optimization use these cases defined
1. Coverage & Capacity optimization
2. Energy Savings
3. Interfrerence Reduction
The purpose of self healing is to solve the faults which can be solved automatically by appropriate recovery actions.
Appropriate alarm shall be generated for each of the detected faults & some of the alarms will be automatically cleared. After a self healing procedure has ended, the self healing functionality shall generate & forward the appropriate notification to inform the IRP manager about the result.
LTE NETWORK Operation (a)Without SON (b )with SON Feature
- Reduced installation times & costs
- Reduced OPEX due to reduction in manual efforts in connection with monitoring,configuration & healing of the network
- Reduced CAPEX due to more efficiently use of network elements Improved user experience
- Improved network performance
To sum up the discussion the article we get to know some of the feature that are important for an operator concerning SON:
- Timing Of introduction of SON functions Possible savings
- QoS and performance improvements Coordination between SON functions.
- SON feature is currently used by North America & Denmark
- In samsung & Huawei LTE (UK/LONDON Part) the feature has been implemented but still not in enable condition.