- Access network provides the last mile communication from Customer Premises Equipment to the network.
- Metro access network is the one which connects access nodes to aggregation nodes.
- Core network consists of core layer switches. This layer is mainly used to provide interconnectivity among different users.
- A backbone is a part of network that interconnects various pieces of network, providing a path for the exchange of information between different LANs or subnetworks.
Transmission medium is the means through which signal is transferred from one place to another.
Two types of media are used in Telecommunication transmission medium :
These are :
Guided media – Guided media are the physical links through which signals are confined to narrow path.
Unguided media – Unguided media is the wireless media.
There are two type of transport mode which are mostly used. These are Microwave and Optical fiber.
Multiplexing is used to send multiple signals over a common high capacity transmission media, such as copper or fiber terminology in transport network is multiplexing, major transport technologies that are used in transmission network are:
- Plesiochronous Digital Hierarchy or (PDH)
- Synchronous Digital Hierarchy or (SDH)
- Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing or (D-WDM)
- Coarse Wavelength Division Multiplexing or (C-WDM)
These will form good part of the learning content of the overall course.
Basic understanding telecom terminologies
Engineering students or people with some technical background in telecom
- Transmission Network Overview
- Transmission Medium
- Transport Technologies
- PDH, SDH, DWDM
- Microwave Communication
- IP Transport Network Solution
- Transport Network Application in Service Provider’s Network